Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hoedown for Hoecakes

The first time I had these was from a mix by Ms Paula Deen. Been salivating for them ever since. If you haven't had one...kind of like a fluffy corn pancake. Although we had a "breakfast for dinner" with them I can see they would be perfect to "sop up" anything...just delicious! Good job my Kentucky boy.
Note: although the recipe called for self-rising flour and self-rising cornmeal, I made my own.

1 cup (minus 2 tbls) all purpose flour with 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt added
1 cup cornmeal (do the same as above)
2 eggs
1 1/2 tbls sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup + 1 tbls water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
We also added 6 cooked crisp strips bacon and crumbled into big pieces

Very simple. Heat oil over med heat, mix all ingredients and drop by serving spoon size heaps into hot oil. Top with bacon, let brown and rise and flip and cook another minute or so. We served them with fried eggs, a touch of maple syrup and my homemade applsesauce.
I think my mother-in-law would have definitely used her favorite line with these..."best thing I ever put in my mouthhhhh"! Said in a southern drawl.
So tonight enjoy and ciao Bella y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment